How to Adapt Leadership Style
“Leadership is the capability to translate dreams into reality.” No objective or goal could ever be achieved without a leader. The leader directs the team towards goal attainment. No individual has inborn leadership qualities. It can be developed through experience and could be sharpened through the knowledge available in books, research. Being a leader isn’t easy. Its both art and Science. Art, as you have suggested, some unique or innovative ideas and Science as you often need to do market analysis, research, evaluate data, and so on.
It doesn’t matter if you are work in a group or as an individual if you are entailed with responsibilities you need to showcase leadership skills. Exhibiting leadership qualities speaks your volume of the credibility of managing a situation as a professional. With changing times, the definition of leadership changes too. Now a leader isn’t a powerful or influential person who jut instructs the team what to do or what to not. Now a leader is a person who stands with the team, abinds the group, and directs them towards the right direction by leading them from the front and not otherwise. But going deeper into the topic wouldn’t be any sense if you don’t know what leadership exactly is.
What is Leadership?
The term “Leadership” has broad meanings. For example:
- A political leader, leading a party
- An explorer
- An executive leading a business
In reality, leadership is polymorphic in nature, which cannot be defined. The definition could vary for different instances. Leaders help themselves and even others in achieving goals. They build an inspiring vision, creates something new, and motivates the folks to follow it.
According to M Chemers. – “Leadership is the process of social influence in which one person can enlist the aid and support of others in the task accomplishment of a common task.”
Leadership is the process in which an executive directs, motivates, guides, or influences the behavior and work of others towards the accomplishments of goals.
Why Do you need Leaders or Leadership Qualities?
Leaders should have the potential to influence others. Being a leader, you don’t just need to instruct your peers but also need to build develop a vision and motivate your organizational members to achieve the visions.
Objectives of Leadership:
- Creating a Vision for Future: in business, all objectives are realistic. A leader should have the capability of transforming the dreams or vision into reality.
- Motivating the People: As you have set the vision for the future. Now you should inspire or motivate the colleagues to achieve it. When leaders have expert powers, people often admire them. So be the one so people should follow you.
- Managing the Vision: Here, leaders require management skills. You need to track every process and must be ensured that the work done achieve the vision is effectively done.
- Team Building: It’s the most vital or crucial task for leadership. Without a team, goal achievement isn’t possible.
Types of Leadership Styles
We all possess leadership qualities in us that comes in function in hard times or in the workplace. Interestingly there are several types of leadership. In the corporate world, individuals often get confused about leadership and management. So, let’s drill down the topic to make the confusion clear. Primarily there are seven types of leadership styles:
- Autocratic Leadership: Autocratic leadership is working on the concept of “Do as I say,” In such a style of leadership, full authority is given to leaders. An autocratic leader thinks he only has the sole power and believes he/she is the smartest of all in a meeting or on the table of discussion. The leader makes all decisions without taking any suggestions from subordinates.
- Democratic Leadership: As the name suggests, “Democratic,” its where the leader welcomes suggestions and ideas from every individual of an organization. You may often see in this type of leadership leader ask questions like “What do you think?”, he/ she shares every detail with the team which affects the responsibilities.
- Coaching Leadership Style: This type of leadership is now in the trend. More and more organizations these days are opting for this style because of its success. Here leaders are more likely a trainer or teacher who often motivates or encourages its team or employees.
- Strategic Leadership Style: In this type of leadership, leaders influence others to make voluntary decisions that can enhance the prospects of an organization. This leadership creates new leaders for the future.
- Transformational Leadership Style: it can be said as the most intense type of leadership. It sets hard goals with strict deadlines, and employees need to work on unison to complete it on time. Transformational leadership checks the potential of a team and helps the team in achieving an exceptional result.
- Laissez-Faire Leadership Style: It’s a French word which means” Let them do.” In such type of leadership, leaders delegate the authority to the team leaders and let them do work on their own without interference.
- Charismatic Leadership Style: More like a one-man show. They are self-motivated, confident. They believe that they can gain the market and huge followers by their strong image.
Opting Leadership Style
At first, you will think all leadership styles are the same. But it isn’t true. Knowing which style works better for you is also a leadership quality. Developing a signature style would make you a great leader, which everyone will admire. So here is a quick guideline on how to sharpen your leadership skills.
- Know Yourself: The most initial step of being a leader is self-assessment. Acknowledge yourself, evaluate your strengths and weaknesses.
- Understand Different Style: Just reading a short paragraph here in this blog won’t be enough for you to understand the leadership style. Refer Business blog, search articles on Leadership styles before implying n leadership style.
- Practice Makes Leader: Leadership Qualities aren’t in our genetics, or you get by birth. You need to develop it. It can be done either by admiring great leaders or by experience.
- Develop Leadership Agility: Leaders should be dynamic. He/she should mold oneself based on the scenario. Always try to polish your leadership skills.
Whatsoever work you do, whether you are managing a kitchen, running a small shop, managing a business, or a country leadership is the important facet. We didn’t get from inheritance but comes with our own set of responsibilities and challenges one faces in the workplace. It’s very confusing to gauge which leadership styles suit you best or when and how to be implemented. But if you are confident, know yourself well, then it won’t be a hassle anymore. So don’t fret about taking up new challenges. Believe yourself, be confident, stay motivated, and soon you are going to be the best leader who gets admired by everyone.